Monday, February 3, 2014

Concertina finger numbering

I took the following from Wolf's Concertina Course (for 38 or 52 key) (1957) instruction manual.  I had the same idea, but I wasn't sure whether I should keep the fingers the same numbers, or if I should number both hands from left to right.  In the interest of keeping some kind of standard, I'll just reproduce the hands from Wolf's, although I'll state that I was going to make the Roman numbers lowercase.





This is just like playing the piano.  You can't always use the same finger for the same note.  Each pattern of notes may require a different sequence of fingers to execute the music with the least difficulty.  Beginning music for any instruments will have the fingering shown.

Example from piano music showing finger positions:



Example from Wolf's concertina manual of the G scale for Right Hand press and draw.


Unfortunately, concertina music is generally written without finger positions indicated, which means that you will have some guesswork when playing the concertina to keep your fingers from getting tangled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment